Current Weather F

Code Enforcement

Lower Pottsgrove Township enforces the following building codes, as required by the PA Uniform Construction Code:

  • International Building Code 2018, Chapters 2 to 29 and 31 to 35
  • International Energy Conservation Code 2018
  • International Existing Building Code 2018
  • International Fire Code 2018
  • International Fuel Gas Code 2018
  • International Plumbing Code 2018
  • International Residential Code 2018
  • National Electric Code 2017

Work Requiring a Permit

Building Permits

Copies of the codes are available for review at the Lower Pottsgrove Township Building. 

  • To construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building.
  • To erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace an electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system which this code regulates.

Ordinary Repairs

Ordinary repairs to structures do not require a building permit. Ordinary repairs include:

  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finishing work.
  • Swings and other playground equipment accessory to one- and two-family dwellings.
  • Prefabricated pools that are less than 24 inches deep.
  • Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
  • Window replacement without structural change.
  • Replacement of existing roof material that does not exceed 25% of the total roof area performed within any 12-month period.
  • Replacement of existing siding.
  • Repair or replacement or any part of a porch or stoop which does not structurally support a roof located above the porch or stoop.
  • Installation or addition of roll or batt insulation.
  • Replacement of exterior rain water gutters and leaders.
  • Minor electrical repair and maintenance work such as the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles, or the replacement of a receptacle, switch or lighting fixture rated at 20 amps or less and operating at less than 150 volts with a like or similar item (does not include replacement of Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) receptacles).
  • Replacement of installed, electrically operated doorbells, communication systems and any motor operated device.
  • Replacement of minor parts that does not make equipment unsafe.
  • Portable heating, ventilation or cooling equipment.
  • Stopping leaks in pipes.
  • Replacement of faucets, lavatories or sinks.

Ordinary repairs do not include:

  • Cutting away any wall, partition or portion thereof
  • Removal or cutting any structural beam or load bearing support.
  • Removal or change of any required means of egress or rearrangement of parts of a structure affecting its exit way requirements
  • Adding to, altering, replacing or relocating any standpipe, water supply sewer, drainage, drain leader, gas, soil, waste, vent or similar piping; electrical wiring; or mechanical.

Application Process

Prior to applying for a permit, all necessary grading permit, subdivision, land development or site plan approvals must be obtained. In addition, the proposed construction must comply with all applicable building codes, the stormwater management regulations in the Subdivision and Land Development Ordinance and the Zoning Ordinance.

Applications for relief from decisions of the Zoning Officer or from variances from the requirements in The Zoning Ordinance are handled by The Zoning Hearing Board.

Use & Occupancy

All commercial uses of property and new construction of dwellings require occupancy permits that certify that the use complies with the Zoning Ordinance and fire prevention regulations.  Residential Resale does not require a Use & Occupancy permit, rather a Sewer Reinspection.

Use and Occupancy Applications (PDF) should be submitted to the Township prior to the final inspection for building permits. All Contractors must be registered in the Township before a building permit can be issued. Registrations are valid until December 31 of each year. The Contractor must provide proof of insurance for registration to be approved.


If you have any questions regarding the building and construction permitting process, please contact Amy Henderson at 610-323-0436 ext. 207.